Mr. Cheddie has over thirty years of experience in the design, installation and maintenance of Process Control and Safety Instrumented Systems for the mining, petroleum and petrochemical industries. He has considerable experience in the application of IEC 61508 and IEC 61511 publications including Hazops, CHazops, SIL and plant reliability studies. He has extensive knowledge and hands on experience with several Distributed Control Systems, SCADA systems, conventional PLC's, and Safety PLC’s. Mr. Cheddie worked at Imperial Oil (Exxon), Sarnia Refinery for 16 years. During this period he was the Operations Support Supervisor for 8 years. In this position he supervised a group of Process and Process Control personnel who provided the technical support for the day-to-day operations of the refinery.
At Imperial he was also the supervisor of the Instrument/Electrical Engineering group for 3 years. He was also part of a special safety and reliability group that developed and trained refinery personnel in Root Cause Failure analysis, FMEA and Hazard Analysis techniques.
Mr. Cheddie also worked for Bayer Inc. in Sarnia, Canada for 12 years. At Bayer he was the Supervisor of the Central Engineering Group responsible for Process Control and Safety Systems engineering and maintenance.
At Exida he has carried out safety training and safety studies (Hazops, CHazops, and SIL studies) for companies in the USA, Canada, Brazil, Venezuela, Bolivia, Mexico, Bahrain, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Kuwait, the United Arab Emirates, Singapore, Japan, India, Germany, and the Netherlands.
He is the co-author of two textbooks
published by ISA relating to the design of Safety Instrumented Systems:
- Safety Shutdown Systems: Design, Analysis & Justification.
- afety Instrumented Systems Verification: Practical Probabilistic Calculations.
Wrote Safety and Reliability Engineering sections of the “Instrument Engineers Handbook”.
- B.Sc. with First Class Honors in Electrical Engineering from Salford University in England.
- A registered Professional Engineer in the Province of Ontario, Canada.
- A TUV Certified Functional Safety Expert (CFSE).
- Certified by the American Society for Quality as a Reliability Engineer, and also as a Quality Engineer.
- Best Analysis Division paper, 1990 – IS.A
- 1998 ISA bestseller award for textbook "Safety Shutdown Systems: Design, Analysis & Justification", ISA, 1998.
- 2006 ISA bestseller award for "Safety Instrumented Systems Verification” textbook.